13 October 2017

Of Mountain Views and Waterfalls













A quick, busy trip up to north Georgia provided a few days to explore the region. It was fun to experience an area that I have not been to before, including a drive up into the mountains - the southernmost of the Appalachian Mountains. The Appalachian Trail goes through the park we visited.

I did not expect that I would get to see mountains or waterfalls on this trip, so I was delighted to be able to view the landscapes that inspire me so much. There is something in me that loves the woods (I'm pretty sure it was my Dad's unceasing love of the woods that got into me). I've never been a beach girl, but give me woods and waterfalls all day, and I am quite content.

We drove deep into the woods to Amicalola Falls State Park, and breathed deeply the fresh air as we took to the path that lead to the waterfall. It was a stunning scene, with the sound of falling water and the cool mist that arose from it. The air was crisp and delightful, only getting as warm as 70-75 degrees. It was the perfect day to be outside. I wished that I could bottle that weather up and bring it back to Florida.

 A lodge at the top of the mountain had commanding views of the mountain range, and we had a late lunch there. That would be a lovely place to stay, there at the top. We were thankful to stumble upon the lodge as we were so hungry and still far from the small town of Dahlonega, which is a tiny mountain town known for its past gold mining days. We went into town later and walked around some antique shops and a general store that sat along the square that was the center of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment