24 October 2018

Autumnal Reality


I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
- Henry David Thoreau

I can say with a resounding, hushed joy that it has felt cool these last few mornings. Dare I say, autumnal. I woke up to a chilly 63 degrees and low humidity, which feels chilly when compared to the usual 75 degrees or more (plus humidity) in the morning. The soft, quiet air leaves room for sound to travel and I hear the train whistle going through downtown. I sip my mug of coffee and reflect how thankful I am. Simply for the blessings of the everyday. 

The cool air makes me feel all the cosy things, like curling up with a blanket and a book, wearing a sweater, eating soup, drinking tea, and lighting candles. My home feels chilled as the autumn winds came overnight. My heart sings with gladness when the weather changes. We have weather at last! When I say weather, I mean a change in weather. G.K. Chesterton wrote something about how England actually has weather, relating to how it changes within minutes from sun to rain, and then, fog to wind, and back to sun. It keeps things interesting. And as Chesterton said - there are no uninteresting things, only uninteresting people.

When I step outside and smile, you know it's a good thing. When I let my car windows down a bit on my drive to work, you know it's a good thing. It's the little pleasures, really. I could certainly take a morning stroll through the pumpkin patch and find a choice one to sit on, on mornings like these. I won't sit on any pumpkins, though, don't worry (no pumpkins were harmed in the making of this post).

No comments:

Post a Comment