13 February 2018

Reflections on a Warm Winter Day


She had another whole hour in which she could curl up under the covers, and luxuriate in warmth and comfort, and doze -
Then she remembered.

She tried to reassure herself that she was remembering a dream, although it was not the way that a dream is remembered. It must have been a dream, obviously it must have been a dream - 

- Madeleine L'Engle

From the moment of waking, I am reflecting. A thankful heart sits quietly and wakes brightly.  A troubled heart wakes in the midst of thoughts that never quieted. On a warm (dare I say it - hot) day of February, I wake up after sleeping-in one morning. To wake slowly and not slip out of bed instantly is a luxury I don't indulge in very often. I stretch and let my mind wake up as a thoughtfulness fills me. As light begins to fill my room my thoughts wake up with the rising sun.

Weekends for me lately have been a restorative and reflective time. If you ask me how I've spent my weekend as of late, it would seem rather dull to most people, filled with the very basics like chores and errands, but what fills me each weekend is the time I am able to take to sit at a coffee shop writing, being reflective, reading at home, and being creative in some way. Sometimes the creativity looks like writing a blog post, or wrapping gifts for an upcoming birthday, or writing a note to someone, or organizing/decorating something in my home.

In moments of time I have that are free, I really enjoy being home. For some reason lately, I haven't been inclined to fight traffic to go out and about much, but to be at home enjoying this tiny space I have is where I have been drawn. There are many activities on the weekends, of course, so it is not all quiet at home. Much of what I can learn and reflect on is obtained by way of a gathering, event, or specific conversion with someone. But then I need to return home with some time for reflection.

We all are made so differently, it is a wonder to behold and learn how others recharge and relax. While I need a stack of books and my journal (plus a cup of coffee or tea if available), others may need a good movie, or a game, or a nap. It is fun to learn about those things in each person, so do share what it is that you need to recharge if you feel so inclined. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your Muddy Musings! They always make me stop and think!

    ReplyDelete