08 February 2018

Thinking Music


Do you need music when you think?

What music genre helps you focus?


I've read that the younger millennial generation more than the older needs music to focus (the millennial birth years range from 1982-2004), and that's why so many students you see in coffee shops have ear buds in while they work on their laptops.


I am a millennial, but not of the younger set, and perhaps as a result, I work well in total silence, but I also work well with some good music that's not distracting. I prefer either classical (such as Bach or Chopin, or just simple piano) or some electronic ambient music. I don't want any vocals if I am working or trying to write. 
If there are vocals, then I need to be in a coffee shop where other voices will muffle the vocals and it all melds into the atmosphere. 

In a world where distractions are all over the place, it is interesting to learn how everyone works, and what environment they need. Is it a generational thing? Is it a preference based on personality? If something specific works well for you, why is that?

It is just interesting to think about. And as I think about it, I am listing to the above electronic song. It only seemed appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment