09 November 2012

Oxford Student

I am most excited to say that I am a University of Oxford student! I enrolled in an online literature class that starts in January, on the Brontës. The class will focus on the Brontë sisters, Emily, Anne, and Charlotte, and a little bit on their brother Branwell and their father, who all had published writings. They were a talented family. Living in Northern England, though, the sisters lived lives close to home and did not travel much (Belgium was the only country they traveled to). So, how did they come to write some of the most beautiful, interesting, and well-known stories? That is a little bit of what we will talk about in this class. Who hasn't heard of Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights? Even if you haven't read the books, you have surely heard the titles.

Did I mention how thoroughly excited I am?
If I cannot be at Oxford for the time being, then I will have a piece of Oxford in my apartment, and I can see this photo, and walk the streets by the Bodleian Library again in my mind, just keeping it fresh until I go over there again.
To study literature, especially English Literature, is one of my greatest joys. (I know I am a nerd, trust me.) To better myself as a reader, a writer, and analyzer of text is something I seek because of the passion I have for literature. To challenge myself and stretch my skills is the best way to grow, and I intend to grow much further.

I cannot wait for class to begin!

5 comments:

  1. Kacie, I can't help but comment again as I continue to laugh aloud to myself with each new post.

    The one non-joking joke of my life (my poor husband will attest) is that I'm going to study at Oxford one day. All of my future ideas always have space for this possibility in them.

    Anyway, I totally get how excited you must be. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I read this because studying at Oxford would be one of my dreams, as you say. And we should do it one day! Since I cannot do that at this moment, I am doing the next best thing that I can think of. Gosh, it is so funny to read your comments about how similar we are :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur, lol. I'm just catching up on recent posts and read the one where you mention what you're thankful for... "yard sales" may have been the only one I wouldn't have said myself, and that's pretty amazing considering how many things were on the list.

      Delete
    2. Hahahahaha. Oh come on....yard sales are fun :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh I definitely think they're fun. They just might not have made a list of absolute faves. Of course, as they have no yards here, it's been a while since I've been to one :)

      Delete