06 August 2018

Busy and Slow


My weekends tend to vacillate between the busy and the slow. The slow times are intentional, and sometimes they have to squeeze in wherever they can. An art of being present and embracing moments.

Sometimes I wonder why we, in our modern culture, have so many things on our plates to fill our time with. It seems that time-saving machines don't add time to our calendar. We still have to load laundry, fold laundry, wash dishes, vacuum, get our cars repaired, go grocery shopping, etc. While we aren't going down to the lake to wash clothes, where did that saved time go? It gets eaten up somewhere. Perhaps with our mobile phones. I am certainly one who enjoys Instagram, but I intentionally do not use other social media to limit the time I am spending online. Are there other areas that could be limited? 

Of course, computers have propelled our culture into an instant society, and our working lives are vastly different from sixteen years ago when I had my first part-time business job in high school. It is amazing the speed at which we can do things now, and it will only get faster.

While that is fascinating, I am interested in slowing down and simplifying. I am interested in spending time with friends and sitting around a table talking about life, lessons we have learned, wisdom gained, and interests we are passionate about. I want to step outside and pay attention to nature that is full of marvels. I want to linger over cups of tea and good conversation. I seek to be surrounded by beautiful pieces of decor and furniture that are well made, lovingly designed, and simple. I aim to curate my space with things that inspire me and that I am passionate about. 

I am interested in the thought-provoking. Lectures and talks online are my go-to. I stopped watching television many years ago, and it was the best decision. I select what I want to watch, if I ever do, and it's usually PBS or a really good show that might come out. I read instead. I don't ever regret spending a lot of time reading. 

I don't mind being busy, but I want it to be worthwhile busy-ness. Do you feel the same way? I want that time to be with others: helping, loving, and caring. I want that to be time where my talents are being used for good, and sharing life with others in an encouraging way. Perhaps this is just a dream, and one long stream of consciousness flowing out of my head, but I'd like to think this can be a real thing all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment