29 August 2018

Another Travel Adventure


The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.

- G.K. Chesterton

That is, to see what we see with wide eyes of wonder and appreciation, even (and especially) our own home city/land. Travel is always a thoughtful process to me, and I am excited for this next adventure! The first stop is the map I am studying in this old book.

I am trying not to get too used to this - travelling to Europe twice in one year. I am tremendously excited, though. It wasn't very long ago (March) that I was in England, Scotland, and Iceland. On this trip, I'll be back in England, and then boarding a cruise ship for Norway and the fjords.

I've been studying maps, searching the web for places of interest (you know, bookshops, coffee shops, scenic spots, historical spots), and trying to pack as little as possible. Over the years, I've learned a few things about packing light - as I realized I tend to use so little of what I classify as "I might need, or might decide to wear this".


Pack lighter than you think you need to. This is my motto. I remember one particular trip on my own to London and Oxford. I originally packed my luggage tightly, and in Oxford I went crazy in the bookshops, and I couldn't fit everything in my luggage. I used a tote bag for the overflow, and the tote was so very heavy and bursting (hello books!) and I had to walk a mile to the train station in Oxford with said luggage and tote, plus another half mile or so in London once I got to Victoria station. It was grueling, to say the least, however, I will suffer for books. My point is that if I had planned better and packed much lighter (as I have learned to do now), I would have been smart to leave room in my luggage for books and other purchases.


I have a different luggage now. It's a bit bigger, and I have learned a lot about packing outfits that can mix and match (so lots of neutral colours). If I am able to do laundry, I bring even less. If I cannot do laundry, I give it more thought to be sure I will wear every piece a few times.


Honestly, my toughest decision now is usually about what book(s) I bring to read. It's a very long flight, and if I don't have a good book to read (since I cannot seem to ever sleep) it is a torturous 8-9 hours.


As I pack, I think about how thankful I am for the opportunity to travel. It's not everyday that one gets to experience other cultures and breathe in the beauty of other countries. I feel that it is a privilege to visit other places in the world, to appreciate the landscapes, the people, the cities, the food, and the experiences of culture. My goal as a traveler is to see God in all these things, in many ways and many places. For as awe rises in me, it is an awe that points toward God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment