06 May 2019

An Evening Soak


An evening soak
Heavy rain glistens against a grey-tone sky
Contrasts rise sharply as sun sets
and darkened clouds release the flood
that soaks and soothes the earth,
the air, the plants, the soul.
It's more than just rain.
It's atmosphere.

After work I ran some errands, including that essential grocery store stop, but as I went about the sky was looming. Darkened and threatening, the clouds seemed to grow taller and thicker. They built up the moisture and heat from the day, storing all that energy inside the darkened mist above land. I knew a storm was coming, but I was trying to beat it. You never know with weather, though, as it could sweep in suddenly, or it could linger over the same spot. 

I entered my home with my bags of groceries, and the wind was starting to gust. I was putting the last of my groceries away when the storm landed on my neighborhood shores. It felt so soothing to be home as the storm arrived. The comfort of making it back and getting inside to enjoy the stormy evening is always a delight. The atmosphere inside becomes a thousand-fold more cosy. All the hygge elements come forth - warm and dry environment inside contrasting the stormy weather, candles lit invoking peace and light, water boiling for a cup of tea, a sweater pulled on to warm my arms. 

I curled up on my sofa with a book, and let the weather do what it is there to do, and enjoyed it with thanks to the Lord that the land can be so refreshed from the rain, and that I get to stay safely inside during the evening soak.

No comments:

Post a Comment