05 February 2020

Unpopular Opinion


The world will never lack for wonders.

Only for a lack of wonder.
- G.K. Chesterton

With the risk of becoming a most unpopular person, I say that I really love a good rainy, grey day or two (or even three). I know - what is wrong with me? Honestly, I have a soft spot for those low grey clouds that bring a full day of light rain that never seems to end. I get all warm and fuzzy inside, wishing for cafes to duck into for a warm lunch and coffee shops to spend time in with a smooth latte, to sink into a cosy environment whilst the weather is being weather.


I have always felt like this about weather, but was not able to articulate it when I was a child. But I knew that cosy feeling that came on suddenly as a cloudburst came upon the land, and in those moments I grew still and became present in order to enjoy the sounds, scents, sights, and atmosphere.

G.K. Chesterton brings another element into the mix with rain that goes beyond just enjoying it, he writes "Two men should share an umbrella; if they have not got an umbrella, they should at least share the rain, with all its rich potentialities of wit and philosophy."

I love weather. To me, it makes everything interesting, and full of wonder. I find myself in a story that is waiting to be unraveled. Suddenly, I am noticing that the bare tree limbs give off a creepy vibe, especially as they reach out toward the darkened sky. There might be ghosts afoot. They can easily hide in the shadows. I may need to investigate some clues along the sidewalk, covered up in the splash of a puddle. The glowing streetlamps reveal a path into the alley of a building not noticed before.


All kinds of stories start to awaken within me when the weather does its thing. Even if I decided to stay tucked away safely dry during a rainy day, everything in the atmosphere of my place of shelter changes in a good way - a way that leads into the imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment