03 February 2021

Tales of Comfort

 


What is comfort for you?
Is it food? An air temperature or weather? A piece of clothing? A place?

For me, it has a lot to do with atmosphere. Give me some soft socks, a cup of steaming tea, a chunky book, a sweater, a few candles, maybe a blanket, and cold-grey weather. Rain? Even better. Snow? In my dreams.

Not only is Winter a more cosy season in general, because we tend to bundle up and light a fire or candles and wear soft sweaters, but as the time continues on and on and on of being isolated more due to the pandemic, we are staying home more than usual. We are not taking long trips or going out to crowded events at all these days. Are we finding ways to be comforted at home in our own ways? 

The news, media, and even social media can add stress and remove us from comfort. Sometimes I may talk to someone who is clearly obsessed with listening to media and others about all the negative things going on in the world and my heart is dragged down in that. Sometimes I think 24 hour news and internet is the worst invention because it means it can become obsessive very easily, where it becomes all we listen and devote our time to. I remember when I was little you had to wait for the 6:00 news to get the news. There is nothing wrong with just getting the essentials.

What we choose to focus on will become what we think about and how we react to the world. If we focus on the negative and what the media tells us, we will adapt that negative, bitter outlook too. If we focus on beauty, simple joys, comfort, and good words, we will adapt that mindset instead. 

Do you have a comfort read genre or author that you turn to? I tend to love murder mysteries as you may know. But also Elizabeth Goudge is one for me, and I just finished her novel Green Dolphin Street. I love how she sweeps you the reader into a story with atmospheric locations and developed characters. And always enriched with heart and soul. 

So, I am going to continue to appreciate all the Winter vibes that have been gracing us lately. As I write this, I am wearing three layers, my thickest socks, and my chunky blanket covers me. It is a cold night. My book is within arm's reach, and that is exactly what I will be opening as soon as I close my laptop after writing this sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment