05 July 2021

Summer Days June - July

 


Begin again another month of solemn, sultry, summer days, amidst the ever-heat-filled hours and breaks of soaking rains. Yes, July encompasses all those things, as well as lazy days of such heat you dare not move a muscle. Hot food and drinks take the backburner, as we seek out more of the cold variety to ease our heat-burdens. Though, admittedly,  I simply cannot replace my morning cup of coffee with iced coffee nor my evening peppermint hot tea, so I am a very poor example of living the summer life.

July holds hands with June in that continuity of their presence. We none of us expect much difference from one month to the next, except maybe more storms to watch out for crossing that wide open sea path from Africa. The same kind of intense heat hovers around every nook and corner, and stepping outside risks the need for another shower. Though I am not one of them, most Floridians head to the coast to keep cool, bathing in the sea water and gathering sand into every bag and shoe as a souvenir.

When you are a child, this is all a marvel, and the anticipation of holiday and beach days is a thrill beyond imagining. I envy the child mentality of not caring at all about the summer heat - they will run and play without a care. Doesn't matter that their hair is sticking straight up and their arms and legs are covered in a new skin made of sand.

Even so, we can all learn a bit from the example they set without knowing, and be a little more carefree in the summer. Letting the heat force us to slow down and reimagine our summer days as a child and how adventurous or fun it was. Even if it was not adventurous in the way of travel. I was always home for summer since Dad worked more (lawn maintenance needs escalate when the grass grows an inch every time you blink), but I loved my long days at home being imaginative and creative in my own ways. My episodes of being bored forced me to come up with creative ways to curb that boredom. I believe it is one of the best gifts a child can have for summer. 

Occasionally the rain will come and stay all day. Oh what glorious weather and atmosphere! It is a gift I am thankful for, as I know there are places where a severe drought is so extreme they would do anything for such a soaking rain, and here we are getting the water falling freely from the sky most of the days and our grass, plants, and trees are green and lush.

Until the next cloudburst comes, go appreciate your sun-soaked summery day to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment