08 December 2021

Southern Savannah Autumn / Winter
















I travelled north, to the south. Can one travel in a paradox?

Southern Savannah - Strolling the sun-dappled sweet streets oozing with southern charm on the days betwixt Autumn and Winter was pure delight. The leaf-laden sidewalks lead me to all the places I needed on a short holiday - to coffee shops and bookshops. What else is necessary? Okay, restaurants/cafes as well. I will grant you that - and good food is to be found. It all felt like magic to me. Something about getting away, especially in these last two years, has felt like a pure treat. A treasure to behold. I love being home, but I also love travelling. It is the double-sided coin for me.

Though all these places are familiar to me, and have seen my presence in the last year, I still felt a keen sense of wonder, as if seeing it all for the first time. Mum of course, hadn't been to Savannah to explore in many many years. We could not really remember when it was, and these places we went were not on the agenda back then. We had a most luxuriously leisurely Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel restaurant, the 1540 Room, which we would recommend. Delicious food prepared by the new chef there. I got to eat at my favourite vegan restaurant, The Fox & Fig, and have coffee at my favourite coffee shop, Mirabelle. Best of all, I got to do some book shopping at both E. Shaver's Booksellers and The Book Lady Bookstore. All the while, walking to each place along the Autumnal verging into Winter (and Christmas decorations!) squares and historic streets.

The mornings were cold, around 37 - 40 degrees. And I was all giddy to have a taste of Winter (to me) whilst gazing admirably at the multi-hued leaves hanging loftily from many trees, with some piles of leafy colour on the ground. It was a lovely mixture of Autumn and Winter holding hands in the same days. I love the display of seasons. I love the way nature shines with all the beauty it is given, as God created it all with flourish of imagination. It is just being itself, and it is glorious. And a wonder-filled way to begin the holiday season, with the start of Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment