25 January 2023

Lingering with January

 




January Mornings - My favourite kinds of mornings: cold, clear, crisp. All the chilly words and gorgeous wintry sky. The kinds of mornings that welcome another cup of coffee, and little bit of lingering with a moment, and some thoughtful meanderings in the mind. 

Whether it's a book of prayers, Scripture, or a book of poems, I have been seeking to linger lately. Our world flies at a pace that doesn't encourage mindfulness or lingering, and I feel like I am constantly struggling against it. Often I have to step back and say no, I can't take part, I need some time at home, I just need some quiet time. It can be confused by some as my not being interested or even anti-social, but that's really not true. Yes, I am hugely introverted, so in order for me to recharge, I need time alone. But that doesn't mean I don't want to spend time with others or be part of outings, long talks, and adventures. I have fought this assumption endlessly, and now instead of fighting it, and I set out on a course of study inviting a different track of indulging curiosity.

We are all guilty of assuming about others the things we think from our own perspective. Something I have learned in my older (hopefully wiser) years is this - while I can easily see that most people don't think like me, I must also be filled with grace toward others, because I don't think like them. They may have something so interesting or wise for me to listen to and learn from. Realizing this in a thoughtful manner has helped me grow in curiosity toward others. Someone else is likely thinking about something I never have thought of. To me, that's the beauty of the uniqueness of how God has made each of us.

Your preference for a morning is likely very different from mine. Maybe you sleep late. Or prefer warm, sultry mornings. Tell me about why that is for you, because maybe I can learn from it, or think about something I had not considered. We all get caught up in our own heads sometimes, and it's refreshing to gain perceptive that differs, even if we don't agree. We can still appreciate the perspective and notice how our own view is shaped.

I could linger for hours with a book and coffee or tea (maybe needing a refill after that long). I don't get antsy; I like to be focused and attentive to what I am doing. I love to go deep into a book, deep into thoughts, deep into some meditative quiet time, and deep into meandering conversation with others. But that's not for everyone. I will take a break and go for a walk or do some errand/chore, which is a small amount of time. Someone else might be the exact opposite of me, more time out and about, with a little bit of time with a book or quiet space. It's interesting to learn why that works for each of us as we are all made beautifully differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment