27 March 2011

Let the Familiar Become Unfamiliar

Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again. 
-G.K. Chesterton

I am re-reading "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton, which is a book I cannot read too many times. In the first chapter he writes about a fancy he once had to write a story about an English yachtsman who set off to discover new land, but he miscalculated his directions and ended up landing right back in England. Yet, when he landed, he thought he had discovered the new land, and saw everything with new eyes. The goal of "Orthodoxy" is to look at all that we probably already know and have seen, but with new eyes, as if it were unfamiliar. We get so accustomed to our immediate surroundings that we lose that sense of astonishment. And that leads to complacency. Chesterton asks, "how can this world give us at once the fascination of a strange town and the comfort and honour of being in our own town?"
It challenges me to look at my surroundings with eyes unfamiliar and a willingness to undertake Chesterton's proposal of "an active and imaginative life, picturesque and full of a poetical curiosity..."

1 comment:

  1. Very true. I often will take a different route to work, or around town to just explore, and see what is in the town I live in. Some times suprised at what I find.

    ReplyDelete