01 April 2016

Rise and Shine, Oxford










A beautiful morning in Oxford. Bright, sunny, and cold. All the buildings seem to sparkle with a joyful sigh, resting in the arms of history. Snug in their places as they have stood for hundreds and hundreds of years. They keep their warm colour and warm my soul at the same time.

My heart leaps at the fact that I am here, walking along these streets in the cold of early spring. Bundled up in jacket, scarf, and boots. Breathing deeply of the fresh air. Then, I duck inside to warm up in my favourite spot, Turl Street Kitchen. A fire is ablaze in the fireplace. A cappuccino and lovely window spot looking out to Turl Street is my choice.

I sip on my cappuccino (mum is drinking a mocha), write in my journal and glance out to Turl Street dreamily. These are the quiet moments that shine light onto the joy and blessing of these days.

To be in Oxford is to be present in the place that feels as close to heavenly as I can think of, for me. When I compare it to other cities I  have been in, none of them have the same bookish, learning-based, scholarly environment. Everywhere I turn there are books that I need to read. And I will oblige, with a happy heart.

To enjoy true happiness, we must travel into a very far country, and even out of ourselves.
- Sir Thomas Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment