26 February 2018

No Duty but Joy


There is no burden but should lightly lie,
No duty but joy at heart must be.

- George MacDonald

Sometimes it's just one line that catches you right where you need it, tugging at your heart. George MacDonald does that to me frequently, and I love this line. No duty but joy at heart must be. That is what we are tasked with (our duty, per say): a joyful heart, and yet we let all these burdens rise up onto us, as if we had to hold them for some reason. 

But, alas, we don't have to hang on to them. Our Lord offers to us that He will take them. Cast ye burdens unto Him. Why do we cling so tightly and allow ourselves to toil all the day (and night) long? I pray the Lord takes all my thoughts that cause me to stray from my duty of joy at heart.

I need guidance in this, for it is too easy to slip into collecting burdens and letting them pile up in a stack that quickly gets weighty, therefore it becomes tougher to let them go. It takes courage to let them go, but oh! The joy of the release when we lift them to God!

I sip coffee this morning and praise God as the sun rises and casts a bright glow into my home. May the Lord cast a bright glow into my heart, and shine there always. The Lord's light never grows dim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment