04 March 2019

Silence is a Healing Balm


Canticle


Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light;
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.

Celtic prayers speak to me so deeply. With a beauty of words, image, and sense of the presence of God, I find great comfort in them. I find that they surround me with love, calm, and peace. It invites me into the presence of contemplative silence.

It is a quiet morning. A bit overcast and very calm. I love it, and I let the silence sink into my being. The silence is a healing balm to our souls, for the most quiet we may experience all day could be at this very moment. Peace does not naturally surround us in our days. On the contrary, there is usually noise/chaos/crisis to deflect. I find that most people like the noise (whatever it may be - television, loud music, etc) all the time because it blocks out their own thinking, and yet all the while they are missing out on listening to their true heart, God, and wisdom in the silence. 

There is so much to learn in the silence.

Listening to ourselves. Letting God speak to us perhaps through prayer, meditation, musing, or focused breathing. Sometimes all it takes is a quiet few minutes of stillness for some wisdom to enter in as we take the focus off ourselves, and shift it to God.

I require so much quiet time I wonder sometimes if I am quite normal. No, I know I am not. Is there anyone out there like me? Of course, you are probably one, and I am thankful for you. It is in the quiet space that we explore deeper things. Introspecting to know ourselves better, but also allowing ourselves to open up to God. Quiet reflection is a river source of life to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment