23 November 2022

Dreich and Grey

 

Dreich and grey
Straight away
Sets my day
Into beautiful sway

The sky hangs low on this weekend day, settling a misty cold over the land. I hold my mug of coffee in my hands to warm them. The chill is wonderfully seasonal. Autumnal atmosphere is perfection of the comforts we have inside our cosy homes.

This kind of day embodies the perfect time to be tucked away at home packing packing packing. Except when I make a sandwich, and when I write this. Maybe I will even grab my book later to read. But first I must pack my teacups. The weather is too perfect not to take a few minutes to write. I can't help it. Weather inspires me. The cold, grey, misty day gives me the mental energy to feel like I could write a novel.

Today has been a perfectly lovely British weather day. Grey, but gentle. Chilly and drizzly. Dreich (a Scottish word meaning dull, dreary, gloomy, rainy) all day. It's a special treat for me, and I feel like I should indulge in the rarity of it, as much as I can in between boxes. If I disappear for awhile, come check on me. I might have fallen into a big box and into another realm.

I am moving in a little over a week. Not far, just a few minutes down the road, but it's a fresh start that will be inspiring. It's just this in-between bit that is difficult. Distractions come in all kinds of shapes and deadlines loom without wavering. I am focused on the packing so I can move as planned. It pains me to put other creative and reading things on hold, but I shall get back to those deeper creative things once I move and unpack. I know I need to give the space these days need to get organized and ready. Fit in the reading and writing in short snippets.

It is very chilly in here. Of course I don't turn on the unit with heat. I will pack instead and quickly forget that I am chilly. I made a cup of jasmine green tea, added some oat milk, and sipping on it now is bliss.

I rest in thankfulness I feel about each day and its gifts. In the week of Thanksgiving the opportunity to reflect is abundant, even amidst other things. Unexpected, unasked for things come that grace my life and I wonder how and why I should ever deserve it. I don't. It's humbling because I know this is the kind of love and grace the Lord shows us everyday. We don't deserve that love. Yet we have it and can accept it, or reject it. I dwell in the thankfulness that arises within me, and thank the Lord for that which is beyond me, which graces me, and offers me the reminder of God's goodness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment