22 April 2016

A Few Books



I bought just a few new (and old) books while in England. Not too many; just enough to fill half my suitcase for the journey home, plus some more books in a twill backpack as a carry on. This is my weakness, when I am in a place where some of my favourite authors lived, their books are in all the bookshops I go to. Books are everywhere. Not just bookshops, but charity shops too. It is really hard for me to resist a book that I know I will never see in the States, and that I will not see again unless I grab it. 

Other than food, coffee, and tea, books is what I spend my money on. I had no agenda or list of books to try to find. I know that doesn't work. The thrill is not knowing what books I will find while perusing all the bookshops. I always find some new and old treasures, and it is a very rare occasion that I walk out of a bookshop with empty hands. If that happens, it is because I show up five minutes before closing (which has happened more than a few times).

Now I want a reading holiday! Here are some (not all) of the books I brought back with me from England (look for future posts about some of these):

The Place of the Lion by Charles Williams (2nd edition)

The Story of Alice by Robert Douglas-Fairhurst

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli

The Poet and the Lunatics by G.K. Chesterton (1st edition- 1929)

The Oxford Book of English Verse

Shirley by Charlotte Brontë

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District by James Rebanks

Seeing Things by Seamus Heaney

The Face of England by Edmund Blunden

The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe

Oxford and its Colleges by Joseph Wells

Troilus and Criseyde by Geoffrey Chaucer

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon 

The Scandal of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment