30 January 2018

Musing on a Month


Open thy mind; take in what I explain
And keep it there; because to understand
Is not to know, if thou dost not retain.
- Dante

It is the perfect time of the morning. Just about 7:45 and the light is softly risen, emanating a warm glow to illuminate the day. Add the chilly air, and it is just so lovely. I could stay here for hours - enjoying a cup of coffee, journal, and stack of books.

My birthday was last weekend and I have a stack of new books that I want to dive into. Actually, I already have; I won't lie. A stack of new books to read makes me so happy. I'm not sure how you feel about that - perhaps it would stress you out because you would have a lot of reading to do, but to me, it excites the inner-workings of my mind that I have so many good books to read. To have a stack before me means I have hours of reading (expanding my horizons) ahead. Entering into a good story and/or learning by process of reading is one of my greatest delights.

January is my favourite month, and I am truly sad it is almost over. I hear that many people are cast down in January because of the dreary weather and the after-Christmas slump. I have always felt the exact opposite, actually. Obviously with a birthday, there tends to be some treats and celebratory times, which is lovely, but January also provides the coldest weather we get here, way down south, and I soak that in as much as I can, because this season does not last long. As I mentioned I usually have a stack of new books to read, from Christmas and then birthday, that I feel fully engaged and excited to jump into many good thoughts/musings in the new year.

To pause and give thanks is a good practice to keep, I think. I am just pausing to give thanks for January, all the books to read, my favourite weather here, and all the good people who are in my life that I have been privileged to see our touch base with this month. I am immensely grateful to God for providing that which is given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment