07 March 2018

Gloriously Wasteful


Gloriously wasteful, O my Lord, art thou!
Sunset faints after sunset into the night,
Splendorously dying from thy window-sill forever.
- George MacDonald

So it is with all glorious moment in nature or with friends. Moments so beautiful, that cannot be redone. They could be seen again, but not in the same way. Even though it could happen again, another sunset will happen tomorrow in fact, we feel the loss when it is over and the time ends. The timeline moves on but we don't want to.

I am amazed at the marvels of nature, and how they fade away, only to return sometime later again. We live in these seasons of ebb and flow, in which the beauty of nature shines brightly for a season (plants burst forth in colour and flowers bloom with beauty) and then fade. Some nature seems to stand gloriously tall all the time, like mountains, waterfalls, and glaciers. Yet, they are all the time changing and shifting, albeit slowly.

In time spent with others, we cannot relive a beautiful moment, yet another may come again later. But think about how God lavishes upon us riches of beautiful nature and moments with others all the time! Sometimes we barely pay attention to it. 

Do we look for such moments in our daily journey?

I'd like to think that I pay attention, and I reflect quite a lot about most things that I do pay attention to the details in thankfulness, but sometimes it's been a long day and I am tired, and barely take notice of the sunset or the conversation. But I write this as a reminder - this is what I should always aim for - always paying attention for God's glory in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment