17 April 2018

Oxford Smiling





























The city never ceases to make me smile and breathe deeply the presence of literary history, a place where words and faith have important developments. It is in every building and cobbled street. Every sky-reaching spire is filled with it. And I try to soak it in as much as I can while I am there.

Oxford is an academic city, of course, so ancient walled colleges fill every block. Therein lays part of the charm - especially when I get to step inside said colleges to explore and feel as if I am part of the place.

Every time I go back to Oxford, I feel the city smiling upon me, as if to say, welcome back. You've been missed. I am not sure if a city can miss a person, but a person can certainly miss a city. Those streets might not miss my footsteps, but I'd like to think that Oxford holds some charm to release for me when I am there.

Every nook of Oxford, from the narrow lanes, golden stone buildings, bookshops, numerous coffee shops, cafes, to the atmosphere that oozes study and learning is waiting for me.

Oxford is where I slow down a bit and let myself linger in a coffee shop and bookshop. I am not trying to rush around to see all the sights. My pace slows down even as I do walk to different places to enjoy - such as the northern neighbourhood of Jericho, the pub down on the river for lunch, the natural history museum, or the art museum. The only time I think I was walking a wee bit fast was to church at St. Ebbe's because we were running a few minutes late. 

I know Oxford isn't actually a slow place, especially for people who live there and have to go to work and study. The hustle and bustle of High Street is real. The stress of the students is abundant, I am sure. I can see them in the coffee shops perched at tables with their laptops and earbuds, and they don't move their eyes from the screen the whole time I am there. I know it's a holiday for me, and that I get to slow down in that time while others do not.

And I feel thankful for that. Every time I think about it I feel utterly thankful. That I can be in such a place, and know it like a good friend, is truly astonishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment