02 April 2018

A Long Tale of Travels












How do I begin? After such a journey to three of the most beautiful countries in the world (I haven't seen the whole world, but I have a hunch), it is almost an insurmountable task to tell the tales. I feel like I am sitting down to write the next Dostoevsky novel. But how does one write a long novel? Simply by starting and taking it one page at a time. So here I go...

I will be reflecting and writing about my travel journeys, and sharing them on here, with many photos included. It is something that takes time, and care, because I don't travel with a flippant notion of one who seeks to see the main attraction and move along quickly. I prefer to stay and linger in a place, to notice the nuances and the attitude of the space. I feel the same about writing. When I write, I linger with a thought and a feeling, which hopefully portrays the place, the scene, the story I am trying to tell. Here will be a test of those things, so thank you for reading, and joining along. 

I started to tell the tale with the first day of Reykjavik (see previous post). And I will continue that tale. I just got home and am in the recovery- get back to the normal- phase at home. It feels so good to be home, and I am deeply thankful to God for the safe, long journey home and for the amazing travels I got to experience and now get to share with others.

I love all the places we went. There will always be a special place in my heart for each one. Iceland is the most stunning and dramatic of all the nature scenery I have seen. So much of God's glorious ever-present-changing landscapes is everywhere you look. I respect the country so much in so many ways. It is actually a very dangerous place, with active volcanoes that are ready to erupt, and earthquakes happening all the time. The natives know this, and they are joyful and happy in the present moment. And even with the danger, you must venture out to see these jaw-dropping places that are unlike anything you will see in the world. 

Scotland is absolutely beautiful with an extinct volcano and hills right in the center of Edinburgh, which means you can walk there and climb to the top of all such places. The whole city is walkable. I love the Scottish people, and we made some Scottish friends. They are so friendly and chatty, and so very proud of their Scottish heritage. You will see men walking around in kilts. I love the history and story of the whole place. I've seen the rest of the country on my trip with my brother years ago, but we had not explored Edinburgh with much depth. There are many writers who lived here and their stories I was eager to learn.

Oh, and England. My second home. England is where I feel like I fit right in without much effort, but it is also the place I've been to the most. It's a place where you walk/train/bus everywhere and where coffee shops and book shops abound. The rolling hills and countryside offer scenery so gentle and earth-toned, which differ among different counties. Here, history is tucked in every city and town. Taking long walks is a favourite pastime of almost everyone, with good reason, as there is such lovely nature, woods, and flowers to observe along the way. 

For now, here are a few photos from each place. Stay tuned for the stories behind the scenes...

No comments:

Post a Comment