13 December 2018

Advent Calendar


When I was a child, we had an Advent Calendar (the paper stock one) with the doors to open each day. Tucked behind each door was a mystery, until the day you got to open that number. I haven't had an Advent Calendar since then, and this year I really wanted one again. When we are adults, we tend to forget or let go of some of the little things that brought us joy as children. I want to try to embrace some of those little things as an adult.

In my typical fashion I looked for something that was bookish, not the norm, and came across this Bodleian Library Advent Calendar. It's a wonderful collection of illustrations from the vast Bodleian collections. This spans centuries of books, and they tuck the painted illustrations behind each door, all related to Advent and the Christmas season. There are beautiful illustrations from the 13th century, as well as cheerful illustrations such as Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's delightful. I feel like a little child each day when I get to open a new door to reveal the mystery that is tucked behind there.


Being grown up doesn't mean we have to let go of some of the lovely little delights that bring us joy. What are some things you loved as a child? Can you incorporate this this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment