28 January 2019

Lessons From Favourite Places

Kaffemisjonen in Bergen, Norway

This cold weather has been a joy. It is not frigid, but the 40s is chilly, and when it doesn't warm beyond 60, I marvel at being able to wear a wool sweater. It makes me feel like I am not in Florida. I imagine myself to be in another place, such as on one of my trips overseas. When I am not there, I dream about being there, and when I am there, it feels like I am in a dream. A very good dream.

The cold days call for tea breaks and scarves, coats and book shops. When I am travelling I tend to overindulge in these things.

Today, I want to live in the present moment, and just enjoy the day, which is a beautiful gift. I can bring in a bit of my favourite travel places wherever I am. I can provide the presence of some of the things I enjoy so much. At home, I seek it out with tea, focused reading and writing as if I was in the Bodleian Library, or I make toast, eggs, and beans. Embracing the grey winter days with a smile is how I think it should be. My imagination leads me to remember places in my head and I recall the joy in a recreation in the now.

I sometimes wonder how my life would be different is I were born and raised in another country. The culture and traditions would surely shape me, as my culture and traditions have shaped my life. I only saw how much I was shaped when I started travelling a lot in the UK. It opened my eyes to a different viewpoint, a worldly grasp of events, different styles, foods, ideas. It has enriched my life in countless ways I have incorporated into my days. 


Tea time is essential to me, but in England is where I fell it love with it. English breakfast, too. Taking on challenges with a steady or even cheerful tone, not rising up in anger. The love of nature, walking, rainy misty days, and dramatic landscapes never affected me so much in an inspired and imaginative way until England and Scotland (those first adventures) entered my life. They are in my heart, always tugging me to be there again. And I will always return.

As of late, I can add Iceland and Norway to that list, for culture, food, design, and lifestyle that has influenced me in many good ways. The Scandinavians enjoy simpler lives with minimal designs in their homes, cafes, and businesses that showcase good quality and thoughtful, clean lines. Have you heard of hygge?

 I like to see the traditions of centuries passed down through a smaller country and the people, and how they quietly appreciate the everyday life, slowing down enough to value quiet time, keeping a minimal lifestyle, and using the fresh in-season foods. They have a cheerful, live-in-the-present mentality. There is much to learn from this, as I feel like I am constantly yearning for these kinds of things. I usually get questioning looks when I mention how I allocate a lot of quiet time at home or I don't want more random "stuff" because I wish to live a simpler, more minimal, thoughtful style in my home. I've always gone against the grain, and prefer not to follows others, so I'll make my own trail here, thanks to my travels to such wonderful places across the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment