07 January 2019

The Joy of a Fresh Year


Maybe it's the fresh air that is filtering into my neighbourhood after a cluster of warm and stuffy days. The air feels clean and my mind is less cluttered as the breeze blows all the cobwebs away. Maybe it's the new year that takes getting used to, like a new jacket, or a new pair of shoes. Or maybe it is everything one hears online or elsewhere, a new year a new start, a fresh start, a new goal, etc...

One cannot help but feel the need to pick some new thing to try or new task to conquer. It's the new year, right? Is that what we are supposed to do? Or do you not feel that? For me, it's just a continuation of moving toward more learning, growing, good challenges, and being present in every moment. And that means a consistent task to look for ways to move forward. So, while it is a new year, that doesn't change any of the advancements I already am moving toward. It just happens to be January at this time, which is my favourite month, so I will embrace it and always love a new year.

I am a life-long learner, and my passion is pursuing ways in which I can always be thinking, growing, learning, reading, exploring, etc...My personality is such that do not need someone to urge me forward into that, I do it naturally as if it were my daily task like brushing my teeth. I feel fortunate in that, but it sometimes means that I am not experiencing (living in) the present moment because I am always in my head with all the thoughts swirling and trying to gather as much information as possible. So my challenge is to get out of my head and into the moment to feel it and let it sink in. The poetry/creative loving side of my helps me get into the moment to notice all the beauty and truth that may be streaming outward for me to soak. May I learn to live in that more often.


The sunlight is radiant today, and the winds are urging the cooler air into town. I sit on my sofa, surrounded by books, and take a moment to look up. I need to learn sometimes to get out of my head. Maybe I will go downstairs to check my laundry now, and let the cool, late afternoon air shuffle my hair and the thoughts modulating my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment