08 April 2019

Mews of Delight

















Hiya London! 

I gladly returned to your historic centre to explore more of what I have not seen yet in real life. These days, you can see all the secret (hidden gems) places on social media, but I like to see some of them in person if I can, especially if my footsteps can bring me there. 


My overseas journey brought me first to London, and the South Kensington neighbourhood was my base. The main streets are busy, and lined with white washed columned facades. A posh area, with nice cars driving by you. Turn down a little lane off the main road, and you will likely come down a mews. The lovely, gardened mews are down almost every other street in this neighbourhood, harking back to the historic days of keeping stables for horses. The mews were used as stable areas in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today, they are sought after real estate, with flats and small businesses lining the quiet getaways just off a busy road. Most of the mews are lined with potted plants and flowers, and vines climbing the buildings. You get the sense of the community when you wander through, which is what I look for when I travel.

I love visiting London, as it always reminds me of history. Every street has some interesting history to learn about. Every building has a story. The literary connections and authors who lived there is astounding. I never get bored with learning more of those, which is why I tried to explore different neighbourhoods on this visit that I had not been to before, like South Kensington, Notting Hill, Chelsea, and Charing Cross Road.

Something I love about London is how each neighbourhood is its own entity, with its own character, style, vibe, and architecture. London doesn't overwhelm me because each area you go to is like a little town in itself. All these photos are of the South Kensington neighbourhood where we stayed. There was much to explore, and I feel like I just barely got to know the area. I loved the Tube stations - the old fashioned railway buildings oozed with history.

Londontown 


A grey sky ahead and above
the historic buildings

catching onto their own
facade and hanging on.
Roads, paths beaten by
travellers all the years of history
beyond our time to reckon.
People rushing down the lane,
dashing to catch the train
or waiting at the platform.
Booksellers, cafes, shops,
all open to the bustling streets,
ready to welcome the passing person.
Tall trees thrive amidst
ancient buildings. 
Admirers of one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment