22 July 2020

Waves of the Sky


Waves of the Sky

The waves are white-capped,
dropping into grey ombre, every shade,
a cluster of cumulus rise
heavily heavenward, as if made
to tread the atmosphere
like waves of the sky,
moving across in ebb and flow,
provoking wonder to the skyward eye.

Rain comes in waves of the sky this evening. A grey cloud will announce itself with a crack of thunder and then open its gates. I welcome the pouring rain. Shuffling to my stove, I heat up some water for my tea.

I sit here at my table with the needed supplies of journal, book, tea, candle, and pen. Fat rain drops hit the awning and windows. The leaves drip and become weighed down by the heavy water after just a few minutes. The trunks of the trees darken as they soak and extend their roots. I could sit like this for hours, just enjoying the splendor of the atmosphere and the wonders of nature.

Green and leafy things are abundant in this summer season. As the humidity rises, the air feel heavy but the trees and plants continue to defy gravity as they rise higher into the sky.

What comforts do you take on a stormy evening? I think I often take after Snoopy and take up my pen (not a typewriter) to write on "a dark and stormy night". There is something to be said about the atmosphere as an inspiring catalyst for creative things. At least for me, it is. I think Snoopy agrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment