10 July 2020

Why Write?


I hear dismay echoing off the air in this world today. As darkness covers our land in more ways than one dividing way, the rousing of people to live as if this is all there is now. Why does it matter to care for things of beauty and goodness? Just do what makes you happy, the world says. Do not bother with looking beyond oneself.

This raises so many questions in me. It just does not make sense. Why would we be given gifts and talents if we were not meant to use them, and share them? Why would we be given longings of good that we can produce works of light? I am not the best at sharing, but I have been better in the last several years with this blog, and self-publishing a few books. Maybe they only reach a few people, I do not know. But my job is to do my work, meaning use the gifts I have been graced with.

I write and read with hope and longing, devouring pages to gain knowledge, wisdom, and perspective. I read many genres in many different time periods as there is so much to wonder and learn about. I love books that point towards the direction of hope and goodness, even if the present is mingled with darkness. For it is our every day journey. 

We walk through troubled days, but this is not the end of the story. This is not where our Author pens the words “the end” and snaps the book shut. No. There are many unseen pages in this tale, and we are writing each new page - blank and open. But how will we choose to fill each page?

No comments:

Post a Comment