19 August 2020

How I Read a lot of Books


Within in its depths, this light, I saw, contained,
bound up and gathered in a single book,
the leaves that scatter through the universe.
- Dante

If you talk to me for more than a few minutes you will likely get me to talk about what book or books I am reading or what topic I have been pondering and researching through books. Whilst I explain the story or the topics, I hear so often from others that they wish they read more, and just cannot find the time. They comment that they get bored and fall asleep. Or they cannot focus. 

The importance and benefits of reading spans countless reasons that would go way beyond this tiny post. I could go on for days about how reading good books is the best use of time and how I never regret reading. Reading stretches our imaginations, puts our brains to work in the best and most beneficial ways, and allows us to see through other eyes to learn and grow.

I read 62 books last year, and it was not because I am some great reader or because I have a ton of spare time. On the contrary, actually. I attribute it to the following: 

Making reading a priority - When I talk to people about reading more, I usually ask about if they set a time each day for reading, and they always say no. Most often they leave it for the end of the day, right before bed when they are most tired, and they end up falling asleep. So I ask - if there is something important to you in your life, don't you set aside time to be sure that you give appropriate time to it, to allow it to grow and flourish? My weekends are fully booked. I read for hours, not just a few minutes. Every evening I read. If I get too tired as it gets late and cannot concentrate, then I put the book aside. The book I read at night is not one of my more difficult academic-type books. It is the Dorothy L. Sayers murder mystery that is much lighter reading.

Reading what I enjoy and am passionate about - Don't read books that bore you or are on topics that do not interest you. But do read good books. Read meaningfully and deeply. Read books that have stood the test of time in between newer books. As C.S. Lewis recommended, read a classic in between new, modern books to refresh your perspective. Discover what you are passionate about and read read read. The wonderful thing about reading is the more you read, the more you discover there is to read. One book leads to another, and another. If you love nature, read some books about gardens or trails or different aspects of nature. I've been reading many books recently by John Lewis-Stempel, who writes beautiful prose on woods, trees, and animals in the UK.  

Putting aside distractions - This is one of the biggest hurdles in keeping up with reading and staying focused. All the distractions in our lives steal time from us. Something that gives me control over that is coming to the conclusion that I am in control of those distractions. I can put my phone in the other room and ignore it. I can put my laptop away. I do not watch TV at all, but one could turn it off and leave it off. Whatever else is distracting in your life, find a way to turn it off, or set it aside for the time that you are reading. It's about the conscious effort. It is fully within our power as a choice.

Hopefully something here will help invigorate you if you are one who would like to read more, but cannot seem to find the time. The great consequence of reading is - Once you read more, you will want to read more, and that is a wonder-filled trend to get on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment