25 September 2020

The Nature of Thankfulness


Oak-Tree
Unmoved I stand what wind may blow.
Swift, swift before the wind I go.

(William Morris)

Rooted like the sturdiest of trees, a mind and heart in thankfulness will be nourished by the surroundings, even on a seemingly dark day. In that vain, the rain is not dreary, but hydration and nourishment. The clouds are not gloom, but an umbrella reprieve from the intensity of the sun's rays. We can look at the lives we live in a similar fashion if we so choose. Noting how the weather of our days can further challenge us and strengthen us in ways we need, even if we do not know we need it.

A soul set in thankfulness is the starting point, I think. For if we do not look at each piece of our lives with a thankful tone, how will we view it as possibility for growth and goodness?

The opposing side is that if we do not dwell in thankfulness, we shall look into our days and find ways to see how we were hurt, or wronged, or a victim of something, instead of seeing how we grew as a person from such event. We could miss how we established a sense of compassion from a situation, or learned how to love better, or grew in wisdom.

We do not have to be thankful for the circumstance that fell upon us, as often it is out of our control, but subsequent choices we made getting through it and how we moved forward is the bit that can produce much fruit. We can see how something pulled the rug out from underneath steady feet, which was followed by a trial and evaluation. How did we let that shape us?

I reflect, today, on the 11th anniversary of my Dad passing and am drawn to this question. How did that sad loss shape me? There are many deeply personal ways to expand upon, but if you have had a similar experience you likely know your own.

There are times when I reflect on my Dad's wisdom and awareness of other people's characters, which he could see through any mask they may have worn. As I have had space to reflect over the years, I have been reminded of this many times, and it has helped me grow into a more wisely observant person, keen to notice character coming through people's surface actions and speech.

This is one small example, but I am deeply thankful for who Dad was and how he still teaches me in many ways today. He will continue to teach me tomorrow. His example and the choices he made is not lost.

On a rainy afternoon I began to reflect on this, unplanned, partly because I am so thankful for rain, but most of the time what I hear from people is disgruntled comments about a rainy day. I might be thinking those disgruntled thoughts on a hot, humid day. It just got me thinking that if we embraced a thankfulness in all circumstances (read Paul's words in the New Testament for more on that - rejoice!), we would have a sense of joy in our hearts that may not be easily explained, except that we have the love of God within us. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment