08 September 2021

Drizzling Thoughts on Toast

 


Drizzling my thoughts like honey on toast. A long weekend awakens in me the desire and ability to get lost in between hundreds of pages. You might find me flipping page 59 over a bite of toast, and page 80 over the final sip of coffee. I take big bites of books, given the time. No nibbles here and there. But big chunks. Then, I sit back and think as my imagination expands beyond the walls of my tiny home. I live in no tiny space -- I live amongst the fantastical worlds and faraway places in all the books on my shelves. It is ever-expanding.

How glorious to get lost in books. One is never bored, and one is never merely entertained. Books require thinking and imagining. Creating the scenes inside your own mind whilst examining thoughts around the author's meaning-filled words. One is not a mere reader on the sidelines, but an active participant in the values of the words. Are they material and moral? Judging for yourself in your own conscious. Placing oneself into the story to gain perspective and ponder the view as the story progresses.

You can expect that an idea or perspective very different from your own will pop onto the page, and you will left to deal with it. You will be able to chew on it, weigh it, muse upon it. These are gifts that books can give us - we learn more about ourselves by reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment