26 April 2023

Oxford Literary To Do's

 


















What to do, what to do with all that time in Oxford...

When I share with someone how I love to spend a week or more in Oxford, I can almost predict their next question - they will ask "what do you do in Oxford?"

I kind of chuckle in my head, as I can imagine myself in their mind, as one who twiddles their thumbs in a dreary Oxford with rain and stiff, studious folks sitting over pots of tea and reading books all day. To me, this is perfection (except the stiff part) and if that's all I did I would be very pleased. However...that's not what days look like. 

How do I succinctly explain that I pretty much live out my very favourite things crammed into the days I am there. Most things are literary focused - this might include (but is not limited to):

 - Browsing at all the bookshops sometimes more than 2-3 times - including Blackwell's, Waterstones, Oxfam charity shops (two locations), Bodleian Shop, St. Phillip's Books, etc.
 
- Sitting in various coffee shops enjoying a flat white and/or pot of tea whilst filling up my journal pages with scribbles, notes, poems, observations. If extra time is available, cracking open a book is absolutely possible.  This could include - The Paper Boat Cafe, Black Sheep Coffee, Jericho Coffee, Vaults & Garden, Weston Library, The Missing Bean, etc.

- Attending author talks (Oxford Literary Festival) - this year it included the fabulous sessions with Chris Riddell, Alister McGrath, and Tom Holland. Locations are as inspiring as the talks - in the Weston Library, the Divinity School, and the Sheldonian Theatre. In addition we went to a special reading of a full John Donne sermon from 1631 (60 minute sermon) given at Lincoln College Chapel by the professor Peter McCullough.

- Attending concerts/orchestra events - this includes the wonderful Lenton concerts in Queen's College Chapel and stumbling upon a rehearsal for a Spring orchestra concert in St. Mary's University Church.

- Wandering the historic and amazingly beautiful narrow lanes that weave through Oxford City Centre, just taking in all the architecture of the city and colleges. It is the most pleasurable city I have ever been in to just wander around with no actual agenda.

- Visit beautiful museums filled with collections or art, artefacts, science, natural history, manuscripts, etc. There are too many to name, but The Weston Library exhibits are always so well done, and The Ashmolean is a favourite large museum I visit almost every time.

- Entering colleges and gardens to explore and admire - dreamily take it all in and imagine myself there. Again, there are too many to name here, but there's always something new to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment