01 November 2023

Author Spotlight Night - Epilogue

 






Last week was the author spotlight night at our downtown independent book shop Pressed Books & Coffee, which was such a delightful evening! I am so grateful I was included in the event and that many family and friends came out to support it. It was the first time I've been able to talk about my trilogy, Selador, in public!

There were four authors there that night. We each had a table we could set-up and decorate to sell our books to the lovely people who took time to come out and hear what we had to say about books. Then we sat up on tall chairs in front of the attendees (I always feel odd sitting in tall chairs when I can't touch the ground) sharing a bit of our writing journey and our books. You know, when I dreamed about becoming an author years and years ago, I never thought about the aftermath of finishing a book - the "selling it" part! 

Here was my first chance to "sell" my books to folks who came out to Pressed with curious minds. Many people I did not know. It was my job to talk about my journey as an author and explain why they should read my books. To be honest, I wasn't sure how that would feel - would it be stressful, would it be well received, would I hate talking in front of people? Well, to spare you, dear reader, the anticipation, I loved it! I loved having the opportunity to share some of my writing journey, throwing in a few older/wiser authors who inspire me, some of my passion for reading, explain why I think everyone should read more good books, and give a little glimpse of what deeper truths I tuck away in my books. I was hoping it would inspire those present to read more, whether it's my books or not, but to engage with good books written today and from older and wiser authors. 

It was a great joy to have dear family and friends present. Some of them haven't read my books and might have heard something to stir their hearts. I loved meeting several friendly people who bought the full set of my books, sharing with me why they were super interested in my talk and my story (many fans of fantasy!). I loved watching my ten year old niece buy each author's book and carry them in her arms the rest of the time, not letting them go, like the treasures they are. 

I am so thankful to everyone who came out that evening. It meant so very much. I deeply appreciate Christina, the owner of Pressed, who had this lovely idea of having local author spotlight nights these last few months, and who helped direct the evening beautifully. Thank you to my friends and family who took photos since I couldn't. These memories will stay with me for many years to come. My first public book event! 

No comments:

Post a Comment