03 October 2019

Autumnal Hues Emerging


No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
-  John Donne

Perhaps I am too optimistic in letting the sweaters stare at my from my closet. It is October, though. Do be generous - it should be time. Perhaps I am looking forward too much to the change of the season. Perhaps I do not belong in Florida from a weather perspective. 
Perhaps...

I am a dreamer, dreaming of a season I do not get to fully experience. We always want what we cannot quite have, right? In the middle of a harsh, bleak winter, don't residents of the north just seek some sunshine and a place to let the sand squish beneath their toes on a beach? 

John Donne speaks to me. His poetic verse brings me to nod in agreement. There is grace in the Autumn. Perhaps we need the seasons to change so that we develop, change, and appreciate the goodness and the challenges that each season brings. There is such truth in this.

The daydream of Autumn.
It's not just a scene or a temperature.
It's a feeling. A cosiness.
Hygge.
The candles. The hot tea steaming in your mug. The blanket covering your legs. The wind rustling outside. The feeling of safety from the wet rain outside.
Comfort food savory and warm. The scents of allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, and clove.

Leaves turn golden, rust, and cinnamon coloured. Some of these things I have to just imagine. Leaves can still crunch beneath my boots.
A sweater and scarf. Boots.
All the cosy things.

Warming up in a ray of sun.
Wanting to be outside all day.
These Autumn mornings so chilly.
Pumpkins and squash become the main dish.

I dream of these days, now that October has come. I will have to remain patient as the season is slow to transition, but I can always appreciate it all the same, in words and imagination. I can draw out the Autumn cosiness in any moment.

I am thankful for seasons - they reveal beauty and inspire reflection and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment