24 December 2019

I Wonder as I Wander


It started with a mysterious package in the mail. An unexpected gift arriving at the perfect moment.

This vinyl was the gift, the new Christmas record by Future of Forestry, and I immediately opened my little suitcase record player and played these new songs. I didn't know my soul needed these songs so much.

There is a song on this record, by Future of Forestry, taken from the hymn written by John Jacob Niles in 1933, that has captured me so deeply. 


I wonder as I wander out under the sky,

How Jesus our Savior,  He came here to die

For lost broken people like you and like I

I wonder as I wander out under the sky



If Jesus had wanted for any small thing,

A star in the sky, or a bird on the wing,

Or all of God's angels in heaven to sing,

He surely could have it, 'cause he was the King.


This song is hauntingly beautiful. You should go listen to it immediately. 

Future of Forestry captured the essence of the mystery of God so eloquently using the words and a variety of instruments. Ebbing and flowing just as your heart needs in a season of paradoxes - dark and light, quick and slow. Emotion rises and silences, leaving you resting in your heart whilst wrapped in the warm embrace of God's love. The mystery of that love is enfolded into each crevice that has shown a crack lately. Those doubtful moments when the day seems like it will crash down directly on your head. 

Wonder.
Oh how we need to wonder as we wander.

How Jesus our Savior came here in human form as a baby, to die for us. God in flesh. A myth of the gods that is actually true. That mysterious love is a truth we need to dwell in. Sometimes the resonance of a song can do that. It creates a space for your heart to sit in wonder as the music fills the air, diving and swirling like loose violin strings playing the air. Let that wonder caress those rough spots in your heart. 

Merry Christmas, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment