12 December 2019

Travelogue - Iceland



















Yes, Iceland captured my heart. It was a quick capturing. You hear it so much these days from many people. Tourism rose sharply in recent years and now the place to go is Iceland. While I am definitely not one to follow the crowd, literally or figuratively, there is a reason why Iceland has such a draw.

Cold. Icy. Wintry. Desolate. Dramatic. Stark.

You might be thinking Iceland is summed up with these words. These words may have truth to them, but it is so much more. Interestingly, Iceland has a moderate climate that isn't too frigid, thanks to the Gulf Stream that circles the island. Otherworldly beauty like you've never seen before is Iceland. Stark contrasts, black and green dramatic landscapes, volcanoes, icy blue glaciers, and black sand beaches. It is a place of mystery and wonder. Iceland is a place of danger, history, proud culture, and only 300,000 people.

I love places of mystery and wonder. 

No wonder so many stories, sagas, and tales have been created here.
No wonder Iceland makes me want to write my own stories and sagas. 

Not only is the scenery stunning and captivating, but the people are friendly and easy-going. They are happy and content with the gift of the everyday. They don't let the worry or care of a matter sink in. They are immensely proud of their Icelandic roots and stories. I love that. I want to hear those stories as I journey amongst the lava fields and mountains. And there is so much more to explore, so I will have to go back.

Packing List:

- Wool coat
- Warm hat/beanie
- Camera
- Hiking shoes/boots
- Journal (maybe write a few Icelandic words to use)

No comments:

Post a Comment