28 April 2020

Home Comforts






I am spending a lot more time at home, just as you are. I don't mind it too much. Being quite fond of spending time at home, I find that my tiny tree house home is quite a nice spot to be tucked away for these weeks upon weeks of quarantine/isolation/social distancing. There are times, of course, where it is more difficult for various reasons, but I try to remain positive and think about all the good things about being home.


What are you favourite, comforting things about home?

Here are a few of mine:

- Waking up comfortably underneath a soft, fluffed duvet as the birds chirp to greet the morning.

- Grinding my own coffee beans by a hand-grinder, then pouring the hot water over the coffee as it percolates into the glass chemex, pour-over style. Adding oat milk to my coffee to make the perfect cup.

- Listening to the different kinds of birds and owls that call my neighborhood their home, too. I can detect the cardinal, blue jay, crow, woodpecker, and owl, though I know there are many more.

- Watching the sun rise as the colours expand into pinks, oranges, and yellows through my kitchen window.

- Reading through the Old Testament with my breakfast each morning.

- Journaling every morning with my cup of coffee is always a great comfort - my chance to think, pray, wonder, write poems, linger in ideas, etc...Whatever comes to mind as my brain wakes up.

- Creating new variations of meals just by altering ingredients or adding something to give a little extra flavor and therefore a little more special/exciting.

- Slowing down in almost everything I do, to try to enjoy it more. I have nowhere to rush off to, so I can spend a little more time enjoying it.

- Turning off the news. Only a brief update is allowed.

- The natural light that comes through my windows, even on cloudy, grey days.

- Picking up my current book for a few minutes of delightful adventure/mystery story.

- Sitting at my table, writing a few letters to put in the mail to some people.

- Still being able to connect with my people (family, friends, work, church) through calls or video conference.

- My elevenses pot of earl grey tea.

- Working on writing my next book. I love where the story is going.

- Checking my mail at lunchtime just after it's delivered. I am never usually home to get my mail in the middle of the day.

- Sitting, pondering, listening, thinking, enjoying. In the quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment