01 April 2020

When We Must Stay Home


I never get takeaway coffee. I much prefer to drink coffee or tea from a ceramic cup and sit in the coffee shop enjoying the hot drink and the atmosphere with my journal or a book. Whoever thought we would be living days when we are not allowed to sit in coffee shops? Thankfully, I can still support my local coffee shop by getting a coffee in a paper cup. Though not my preference, I would still like to support them. I go home and make my home the coffee shop. It is temporary after all.

I am not one who tends to get stir crazy, but I imagine that over the course of weeks of being at home, even I will feel the effects of feeling a bit of cabin fever. You might already be feeling it.

I thought it would be fun to share a few links to things that have been keeping me entertained and/or inspired these days:

I am a big astronomy nerd who loves learning about space, stars, planets, and the science that is discovering all things strange and mysterious in our universe. Dr. Becky is an astrophysicist at Oxford, and I love watching her informative and entertaining videos. 

If you like to draw, or your kids like to draw, of if you just want to be entertained, I highly recommend you go over to the Serious Creatures videos to watch Brady draw fun creatures. I guarantee you will laugh. Brady and his wife Amber are friends who live in Lebanon, running a home for orphans. I got to meet up with them in Oxford a few years back and we romped around Oxford and the Cotswolds. They are such lovely people.

The Rabbit Room has always been a source of inspiration for me for many years, with new ideas, sharing of artistic creations, and creative outlets. It is a creative Christian community that is based in Nashville, but is online and connected all over the world. They of course take their name from the small room (called "The Rabbit Room") in The Eagle and Child Pub in Oxford where The Inklings met on a weekly basis, led by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. The Podcasts are varied and wonderful.

My favourite living British poet, author, expert on the Inklings, speaker, Anglican Priest, etc, Malcolm Guite started a YouTube Channel where he posts short videos welcoming you to his library and reading from a few books. I could listen to him talk about poetry, the Inklings, or George MacDonald all day.

Through Oxford University, exploring their Curious Minds website with connections to visit the world’s museums, libraries, etc – and give your brain a workout – all from your own home. I am a particular fan of browsing the ancient and Medieval books in the Digital Bodleian.

Books:

- I just finished reading Unnatural Death by Dorothy L Sayers. Another Lord Peter Wimsey mystery that delights and makes me think. There is something about a mystery story that takes us out of our own anxious thoughts. 

- I am reading The Ten Second Rule by Clare De Graaf with my Sunday School class. A great reminder that we have the power to do good things and our rule should be that if we think we might be led to do something good and it's within your power, do it immediately (within 10 seconds) before you get distracted and never do it.

- I am reading The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame for the first time. My mum bought the delightful small old hardback book when we were in Oxford last year, and gave it to me for my birthday in January.

Music:

- Chill (non vocal) music is best while I am working (it helps me focus), whether I am in the office or at my kitchen table. A current favourite playlist.

- Jeremy Casella in the car right now (not that I am driving much these days) - one of his newest songs is particularly appropriate for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment