05 January 2021

A Little Savannah Adventure

 











After more than a year, and still during a pandemic, I finally took a tiny adventure to get away for a few days. The travel restrictions have left a large gap in my life - the delightful variance of scene and feeling that I have needed so deeply. Savannah, Georgia is a five hour drive (without stops) and is an entirely different atmosphere than anywhere in Florida, which is what I need. That southern charm and history is steeped into all the historic streets and buildings. Also, my dear friend Jen lives outside the city, which was a big bonus of going there. We got to spend some good time together, which is heart nourishing.

I stayed in the middle of the historic district (which was still dressed up for Christmas - oh how lovely!), nicely sandwiched in between two lovely bookshops (yes, I most definitely placed myself purposely as close to the books as I could) and had an amazing 11th floor view of the city. I could have sat there most of the day each day and been very content. I did end up spending a lot of time up there after getting coffee and wandering the streets in the mornings before people came out (other than residents with their pups). The city was busier than I would have liked, and sitting in a coffee shop is just not an option these days, so I took my delicious lavender oat milk latte back to the room for my writing time. I avoided all the busy shopping streets, and my only requirement for shopping was to go to the two bookshops.

I went to each bookshop right when they opened. They only let about six masked people in the shop at a time, so it was not busy when I was in there, but a line always formed outside and I passed them as I left. It felt so wonderful to browse a real bookshop, and pick out some new titles to bring home with me. A couple I started reading up in my room later on after I got takeaway food to bring back. I cannot resist a new book (or books).

My heart is very thankful for this short little trip. Long haul travel will be closed for a while, so I shall have to stay closer to home, and be thankful in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment