08 April 2021

Inspiration of Place: Oxford

 


Inspiration of place is strong for me. I observe, think, and sit with my journal filling pages of travel logs and adventures. I write down observations of the things I see and my experiences. My travel journals are so precious because they hold memories of a place in time. At a specific time whilst my feet trod the streets and paths. It is a record of my life in that place far from home - how different are the feelings that rise and the observations of life and space and being.

Each place outside my home encourages different thoughts. Some places evoke so much of the love I have for learning, books, history, and meaning, I find my heart is at home. Some places are so entrenched in beauty of nature I am overwhelmed in my senses of all that I can try to absorb in my heart and soul by being in God's nature so fully. My heart is at home there too.

I can sit and write pages about a place I visited or was staying in. Nuances to notice, details to appreciate, differences to get used to in another culture. The wonder of travel is discovering these things and appreciating them for exactly what they are. The place does not change for me, nor should it. I change to learn its ways. I become more British when I am in the UK. Over years and years of going to that island so many things have become positively engrained in me that they are part of my life in my everyday. If you know me, it's easy to see my love of tea grown over the last decade as well as all things British.

Even the softly rounded ancient cobbles (most awkward to walk upon) I miss (see first photo). But also wandering around betwixt the dreaming spires and creamy stone buildings. Bodleian Library (Radcliffe Camera), All Souls College, St. Mary's all in view as the quiet echo of time rebounds off everything. At this time of year especially, because I have for more than a decade been there each year under icy blue skies to see the tulips and daffodils burst forth from the ground and the magnolia trees bloom into pink beauty. The inspiration of place is strong in me, and my travels I hold dear. One day soon - I remain patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment