16 April 2021

Books I Read Recently

 


It has been a little while since I posted books I've read recently. I keep a constant reading 1-2 books at a time, usually. More often now I focus on one book rather than jump around, and I am finding that I enjoy the book more by giving it its time to work its magic on me on a consistent basis.

1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
This beautiful clothbound Penguin Classic was a re-read for me and a lovely gift from friends. I so enjoy Anne's writings, and this book feels like a cross between Jane Eyre written by her sister Charlotte, and Wuthering Heights written by her sister Emily. The dark, dreary house of Wildfell Hall even shares initials with Wuthering Heights. When a quiet, recluse young woman moves into Wildfell Hall with her little son the neighbors talk and gossip, trying to learn her secrets. The sweeping, moody atmosphere of the northern British landscape always draws me in (it's a Brontë staple). Anne writes first from the perspective of Gilbert, a young farmer who lives nearby with his family, but then the narrative shifts to Mrs. Graham, the young widow (or is she?) who finally lets Gilbert read her diary (as we the reader peer over his shoulder), revealing a terrible marriage and hardships she has endured. She was running to escape that life, coming to her family home of Wildfell Hall.


2.  The Other Bennet Sister by Janice Hadlow
An old friend from college recommended this to me, as she had just finished reading it. This is a diversion from books I usually read. I don't normally reach for spin-off books of a classic. This book tells the story of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen from the perspective of Mary, a middle Bennet daughter who is largely ignored in the classic book. Mary is dull, plain, and always seems to be cast aside and she isn't charming or strong-willed. So then, what qualities does she have? It is kind of fun to explore the story well known from a different perspective, and ask "what if?" That's what this book does, as it goes beyond the known story to future years and where Mary goes, and how she finds her way in the world. 


3. Stars: A Very Short Introduction by Andrew King
If you did not know already, I am an astronomy and space nerd. I have always been fascinated by the cosmos, and to learn about the stars is always enjoyable to me. Mum gave this to me as she enjoys these Very Short Introductions, and we very often listen to the authors of these books (published by Oxford University Press) speak at the Oxford Literary Festival. So, we usually pick one up each year in Oxford. This year, our copy was ordered from Blackwell's instead of buying in person. Stars is short and sweet- going through the science of how stars are formed through to how they "die", which really means they grow so dense and hot and eventually expand into a Neutron Star or a Black Hole. Fascinating. 


4. The Poet's Dante - Twentieth Century Responses
Did you know this year is the 700th anniversary of the poet's death? I have been embracing and seeking out all things Dante lately, exploring his Divine Comedy and talks, books, and essays about him and his work. This is a collection of essays on the topic of Dante (mentioned by Malcolm Guite in one of his talks, which means I immediately ordered a used copy online as that was all I could find), which was a great exploration and depth I have been craving regarding Dante and his writing. Essays range from T.S. Eliot's famous essay to current writers written when this book was published. I enjoyed all the different perspectives on Dante - some secular and some divine. All angles benefit my own reading and understanding of the allegory and deeper meanings in his poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment