09 February 2022

The Library



Libraries only last as long as people find them useful.

How do you use your public libraries? Do you find them useful?

What would our world be like if there were no libraries? What if they were only digital?

There are millions upon millions of books in the world held within libraries. Vast collections of ancient documents of parchment, leather, paper, and clay tablet (the beginnings of the written collection). And for us, re-prints and modern books in our local libraries. Looking back through our history as humans, this chunky book, The Library, A Fragile History, is a lovely book to add to my own library and is a study of the history of the library through time. It explores how and why a library was created throughout history. What was happening in history to encourage or deflect the efforts of a library. I am endlessly fascinated by the history of the library as it mingles with the history of humanity. They cannot be taken separately as they are linked always. It discusses the effect of wars, shifts in culture, resources available (parchment, paper), religious history, printing history (printing press), manual processes (hand made), publishing history, human influence (power). It is about so much more than just a simple library.

In our modern times, I think some of the questions that rise are: What would happen if libraries were taken away, and everything was digital? If you wanted a book, you would go online? Where would the community meet for study, research, classes, events, or mingling? Where would children go to browse and delight in the sense of discovery of a book they never knew they wanted to read?

As the world shifts in priorities and deepens the reliance on technology,  libraries are used less and less. Many have become more of a community centre than a library. Is this a good thing that it has shifted from its original intent?

This was a brief age (in the time of illuminated manuscripts) in which books were an expression of the highest form of visual art, and where the price of a book might match or even outstrip the value of other possessions of the home.

Do we value books today in the same way? Most of the illuminated manuscripts or precious old books are now held within university libraries or great museums, some are on display so the public can view them. But is there a norm in our culture today that deeply values books as if they were treasures, rather than toss away items (or something to be moved to digital, and is it okay that one company, name starts with a G, owns and can control those digital books?)?

I treasure my books, but I don't just collect to collect. I read all of them. I remember growing up I revisited the same books on the bookshelves constantly. The feel of the pages, the scent of the book, all of it was enchanting to me. And it still is. As my own book collection has grown over time, I confess I am much more of a personal library person. I want to own the book, underline passages, jot notes in the margins, reflect and re-visit the book later, re-read in a year, etc. I cannot do that in library books. So, I do not check out books too often. But I love to buy books from their books sales, and I love to sit in the library to read or write in the quiet atmosphere that is a great alternative to a coffee shop for focused time (and while I am there end up picking some books from the surrounding shelves to dip into while there, sometimes checking them out to bring home). A library should always be a safe place for exploration, study, and learning.

But what do we do as the culture demands for libraries is diminishing? There were predictions years ago that books and publishing would be dead by around this time and that the digital books would take over everything - that was proven wrong. People still want physical books, and I believe they always will. More bookshops are opening. One opened this last summer in my downtown. There is an experience you get with a physical book that you cannot ever get with a kindle or reading online. The books on my shelves will never run out of batteries. They will never be lost in cyberspace. They will never by owned by G and controlled for any reason. I can go pick a book off my shelf anytime. No internet connection needed. 

I love reading about the history of books and collections like libraries because it tells a bigger story and asks some bigger questions I think deserve some thought. As you study books, you study human history. We have much wisdom to gain from this. Books and libraries have spanned thousands of years and something tells me that it will continue for the next thousand years. I won't be part of that time, but I can do my part now in appreciating books and places of learning like libraries and museums preserving such treasures, and sharing that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment