13 April 2022

Tiny Bookish Views

 







I am sitting here at my desk by the window with my Lent book of poems at my elbow. The winds are gusting outside on a sparklingly bright day with lovely temperatures from the upper 50s to the low 70s. I am sipping a London Fog, missing the namesake city across the ocean, but feeling so thankful for this little home I get to live in and recharge over a weekend before entering Holy Week. Praying for time to reflect in my little space. Over the years I have tweaked this tiny home bit by bit making it more my own - a mixture of simple, classic, bookish. The only thing I have an abundance of is books. And I wouldn't change that at all. 

What are some things I love about my tiny home? You may sense a theme here, but around here, it's about books. A comfortable, simple atmosphere with beautiful small details and books. Lots of books. Old books, new books. And all the nooks.

When I travelled to Iceland and Norway, the beauty of their design and furniture really left an impact on me. I gravitate toward the natural light wood tones, clean white, and tapered lines. My favourite pieces of furniture are from Sweden or Denmark, or molded from that example of design. I admire the way the Scandinavian countries use elements of nature alongside something antique or modern, creating an effortless look, simple, timeless, and comfortable. 

My space is just over 500 square feet, and I honestly don't need more space. It means I am very selective in what I actually do have. Picking and selecting beautiful, well made items means I create a more pleasurable experience in the simplest of everyday things. I want pieces that last and are well made and look lovely after having them for years. Pieces I want to display and see. The simple pleasures of the everyday. 

And the books - lifelong companions they are. Old, new, and in between, they are always moving around my home, whether in my hands or open to be referenced for my book, my blog, just for fun, or a presentation I am giving.  I tend to research things just because something mentioned will spark my intrigue and I must dig to find that word or phrase, concept, or passage. A library must always be at my fingertips. Everything else is optional. 

As we travel deeper into the paths of Holy Week, may the comfort of knowing Jesus goes with us in every step or our daily lives guide our hearts and souls, leading us into more meaning-drenched moments and contemplative mindsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment