27 March 2024

Where I've Been Lately: Studying, Books, Coffee

 

A visit to an old browsing spot of mine, Parker's Books in downtown Sarasota.

The open, spacious, lovely Selby Public Library in downtown Sarasota. 

Trying a new (to me!) lunch spot in Sarasota, Lila. Delicious cafe with lots of vegan and gf options.

Study spot on the second floor of the Selby Library. I spent a good couple hours here with the best view out the window of downtown. It's a special place that invokes good memories, as this is almost the exact spot I came to research and write my final English paper in high school on Madeleine L'Engle. Love coming back here.

This is about five minutes after I passed the big exam I have been studying for. So much relief, so much to be thankful for in the ability and blessing that it is to study and pass a tough exam.

Hello, Selby Library, my old friend.

Brunch at Project Coffee in Sarasota. Perfect study spot, delicious food and coffee. It fueled me very well for a good, productive day.

Break time for an avocado toast, matcha, and good book at Black n' Brew at the Lakeland Public Library, another regular spot for me.

Made a latte with an abstract tulip? Still working on my latte art skills (eh, pretend skills)

Hallo - It's been a while! It's also been a bit of repeat for me and my life lately, let's see it looks like - study, books, coffee. You haven't missed much. There may have been a slight variety in the pattern, but the study and coffee showed up in the routine like clockwork. 

Most reading time lately has been occupied by the important studying for a big exam I very recently passed. (I did get a few pages of reading for fun squeezed in each night, don't worry.) I am so filled with thankfulness for the opportunity, and I took a great deal of time for it, and for me studying requires that time and effort. I've always been that way. Back in college the regular occurrence would be that I would sit up on my bed with my very chunky textbook and notebook studying for the next accounting exam whilst my roomie went out to a social event. When I have something important to study, I devote myself to it. I put it ahead of all other fun things I might want to do. Most people would call me "too serious". But it's just my way because I want to know the things I am studying. I also see the end date, the light at the end of the tunnel, and I push through, knowing it will pay off to accomplish a big goal.

In my long study hours, my treat has been to make myself a latte. It feels fancy and tastes delicious. I grind some fresh beans, froth some barista oat milk, and pretend I am in a coffee shop using my beautiful cup and saucer, then I would get back to my desk to study. I love studying, honestly - all the research, reading, thinking, practicing. But the big exam at the end is always the scary part I am not super fond of with all the anxious nervousness.

So I am celebrating now! My way includes hours of reading for pleasure and sleeping beyond 5:15 am occasionally. It feels like I have all this time suddenly. It feels like a gift! And it is. Everyday is truly a gift and I am blessed to get to do good work when I am at the office, and then pursue good things in my personal time. 

I had to travel to Sarasota for the exam, and it was a real treat to my pre-test anxiety to be in an old familiar place I love and have always loved since I was a kid. Being downtown was calming, visiting some of the places I've been to countless times helped take my mind off the exam, and I felt less stressed in those hours. I browsed a bookshop I've been to so many times since high school, I sat in the library with views out the window that bring back good memories, I ate delicious food. But I took study time along the way at the coffee shop and library, so I was still productive. It was an ideal situation for me. 

All that rambling catch-up to say - thank you for being here. For stopping by my little blog door and peaking in to read a post. More to come - my schedule is all clear for lots of reading excellent books that have been patiently waiting for me to pick them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment