08 October 2012

Shoreline



Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
Isaiah 26.4


I grew up on the shoreline. A little beach town. My house was less than 2 miles from the beach, but not all shorelines are the same. The Florida shore generally has fluffy (sometimes white) sand, calm surf, and warm waters.

Traveling to a new place opens my eyes to things that are different, and intriguing. The coast in New England is rocky. The sand isn't powdery, but speckled with rocks and shells. The water is much colder so the air feels different from the warmth in Florida. It could get chilly on a sunny day in New England.


In some places there are piles of rocks, or lines of rocks leading out into the ocean as if someone were walking out to sea and leaving breadcrumbs in the form of rocks. The water level at low tide is dramatically lower, something like 16 feet! Tides here in Florida are 1-2 feet, so that is a huge variance to me, and it is fascinating to see the difference. Suddenly, big rocks emerge and add color and texture to the landscape at low tide. At high tide, they disappear.

I walked here, along the southern Massachusetts coast a few times during my stay. The waters were calm, protected by land surrounding the bay on two other sides. The air was cool and I wore a scarf and light sweater. Sail boats were everywhere. I have never seen so many sailboats as I did while visiting this area. I would like to experience going out on a sailboat one day. The stillness and quiet of this spot was almost deafening. The only sound was the rustle of the tall grasses behind me and the occasional gull. No cars. No voices. Just a gentle presence of chilled sea air and the reminder that God is in all of it. Every good thing is only possible because of God.

Breathing deep the fresh air, I was filled with thankfulness.

I can't resist adding a great song to this post. Click here to listen to "Shoreline" by Deas Vail.

No comments:

Post a Comment