29 October 2015

Writing Assignment



I found this reporter notebook in my dad's BMW six years ago. When he passed away I claimed this notebook. He didn't write in it, but I wanted to. I've been using this notebook for any interview articles I have written for my church's magazine. Using this flip notebook makes me feel more like a journalist, and it makes me think of my dad, of course. He was proud of my writing endeavors, and I know he would read all the articles I have written over the last six years. So I am glad to put this little notebook to use.

I haven't written an article in a while, but I was recently asked to write one for an upcoming issue of the magazine, so I dusted off this notebook again, and put pen to page.

I had the opportunity to interview several 3rd graders about their thoughts and feelings upon receiving their first Bible that the church gives them. Let me tell you, that is an entertaining interview session. Ask nine year olds questions about the Bible, and you will receive responses you never expected. You will learn, for example, whose dad is an unbeliever, whose dad killed a rat, who thinks they can read the Bible in a year, who thinks they know most of the stories in the Bible already, and who thinks the Old Testament is all battle scenes. I won't divulge any more. I am going to leave you hanging in suspense. You will have to read the article when it is published.


I have a foggy memory of getting my first Bible in 3rd grade. The presentation during the church service is always a blur. Any time I am in front of people and feel their gazes, it becomes something I barely remember later. I have an old photo of me sitting at the table with the other 3rd graders afterwards, and I am kind of hugging my Bible close to my chest. The love of books, words, and learning has always been there. Knowing that with the Bible, the words contained on the pages held some deep meanings, that require a soaking in them. With great care and attention, the words should be read. These words should be pondered, and their mysteries explored.

Maybe I didn't think of all these things when I was nine, but I knew there was something very special about the words within those thin pages. And I was going to learn much more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment