13 September 2017

Hope After the Storm




Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
 Psalm 62.8

I am not sure I can adequately put into words the mixed emotions that have swirled these last several days, but I will try. From the stress of the pre-hurricane preparation and not knowing exactly where the storm would go, to the overnight experience of going through the eye wall of Hurricane Irma after it decided to make landfall in Marco Island (Naples), experiencing 100 mph winds sitting in a closet with my mom, to the aftermath of my historic neighborhoods where the debris was absolutely everywhere and huge fallen trees blocked roads and leaned on houses. Thankfulness abounds that everyone is okay, but our lives are disrupted in ways I have not known before. 

As of today, I still do not have power, and the reason is pictured above. From my home (you can see the top of my car in the corner), the neighboring garage apartment narrowly missed major roof damage from this fallen tree, that then fell onto the power line pole and transformer. Notice how my next door neighbor has power lines strewn across their driveway. We hear that there are four pages filled with locations in our neighborhoods that have this issue, and we don't know when our power will be restored. Just across the alley and that fallen tree, another tree fell on the roof of a neighbor creating serious damage.

The drive around my neighborhood and the lake means driving over debris and around fallen trees. I could not even bring myself to take photos as my eyes were too wide open to the sad, broken trees and homes. The power of nature is a fearful thing, indeed. I slept in my home last night, and it was very hot, and extremely creepy in a completely darkened neighborhood and only a few candles burning. Tonight, I am accepting the hospitality of my sister-in-law's family where I can charge my phone, login to get work done, and appreciate air conditioning and good company.

Last night as I drove around the lake, the rainbow had just emerged, and I really needed the reminder of God's presence amidst trials. My home made it through the storm, but as that 100 mph wind was shaking my brother and sister-in-law's house that night, I didn't think that my tiny home from 1950 would make it through unscathed, but it did.

My heart feels heavy and sad for this lovely city. The trees, the historic homes, the lives disrupted. But the way that everyone has worked together to clean-up, clear messes, neighbors jump in to help neighbors has left me feeling hopeful from the showcase of the true human spirit to help one another. I have been on the receiving end of help in multiple ways in these last few days, and I thank those kind souls with a humble heart, and direct my praise upward to the Lord, because He heard my prayers.

Before I left my home to take shelter elsewhere, I wrote a prayer on my little chalkboard in my kitchen that said -
Lord please watch over this little treehouse. No storm is too big for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment