18 June 2018

Words of Grace


I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you an inheritance among all who are sanctified. 
Acts 20.32

When I start my day with several minutes reading Scripture, I am setting myself up for a more focused, centered-on-God kind of day. There is something about reading words that opens us up to listening to God speak to us through these ancient texts. If we are to work towards who God made each of us to be, we need to be immersed and be familiar with His words.

My daily routine is such that I make a cup of coffee and open up my beautiful cloth-bound hardback Bible on my lap to read. I don't aim to read a lot - it sometimes can be less than a chapter if I am reading slowly. Sometimes I will re-read a section if I feel like there was something to pay closer attention to.

I feel built up when I start my day this way. Even if I am reading through passages that don't initially register with me. I trust that God will help provide clarity through the Spirit as appropriate. And that clarity may come later down the road.

Is as if the Lord has put these words of encouragement (or questions, stories, frustrations, lessons, etc) in Scripture to equip my soul with the defenses it will need for the days ahead. To strengthen my knowledge through truth. To dwell in the words. To have these words on the tips of our hearts everyday. What if everyone did that? How much better equipped we would be to show one another grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment