07 August 2013

Listen to Books


You may or may not be as nerdy as me when it comes to reading books. Don't worry, this post is not about reading books....

But how about listening to books or poems being read? I love being read to, and I remember how much I enjoyed my English classes when the teacher/professor would read, or when other students would read well. I realize that I really enjoy hearing someone's pronunciation, rise and fall of the voice, and different tones as words are being read. It is such a different experience hearing something being read than reading it on paper. And I love to hear author's voices, especially when it is a piece of history.

Listening to the following clips is is like living in the early days before television, when radio was used as nightly entertainment. The thing I love about that is how the radio leaves all the visuals to your imagination rather than the television showing you.

I found a few fun audios to share with you. I have been listening to these lately.
Stretch your imagination!

Enjoy!

C.S. Lewis reading part of his broadcast talks from 1944, which later became Mere Christianity:
HERE


J.R.R. Tolkien reading from The Hobbit: Riddles in the Dark:

HERE

T.S. Eliot reading Four Quartets:

HERE

A.A. Milne reading from Winnie the Pooh:

HERE

G.K. Chesterton speeches (evidence of his humour):

HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment